The temporomandibular joint (TMJ) is like a sliding hinge, connecting the jawbone to the skull. Dysfunction in these joints can lead to pain and discomfort.
Symptoms of Temporomandibular Disorder (TMD):
- Jaw pain
- Pain or ringing in the ears
- Clicking and popping sound in the jaw
- Facial swelling
- Change in the alignment of teeth
- Neck or head pain
- Locking or limited movement of the jaw
- Muscle spasms in the jaw
We will be able to determine whether you are suffering from TMD with the help of an X-ray and an examination. If you are affected by the problem, we will guide you towards the appropriate treatments. Our custom-made mouth guards are often an effective treatment for TMD. We may also prescribe medication and/or physical therapy.
Some simple steps can be that can be taken to keep TMD from becoming more severe include:
- Avoid gum chewing
- Avoid teeth grinding through use of a custom-made mouth guard
- Chew on both sides of your mouth
- Don’t hold the phone between your head and shoulder
- Practice good posture
If you are experiencing any of the symptoms of TMD and you would like to learn more, contact our office for a consultation today.