Oral Cancer Screening
An oral cancer screening is performed to detect any warning signs of oral cancer so that timely treatment can be administered before the disease progresses to an advanced stage. Oral cancer is one of the most serious oral health problems, and early detection of this condition can save lives. The chances of survival from oral cancer are significantly higher if it is diagnosed before it progresses to an advanced stage.
Some symptoms that may indicate oral cancer are:
- Lumps, swelling rough spots on the gums, lips, or other areas inside the mouth
- Unexplained bleeding in the mouth
- Development of velvety white or red patches in the mouth
- Persistent sores on the mouth, neck or face that bleed easily and do not heal
- Difficulty speaking, chewing or swallowing, or moving the tongue or jaw
- A soreness or feeling that something is caught in the back of the throat
- Swelling of the jaw that causes dentures to fit poorly
- Unexplained numbness, tenderness or pain in any area of the face, neck or mouth
- Chronic sore throat, or change in voice
- Pain in one ear without hearing loss
- Sudden weight loss
At Hayes Family Dentistry, we offer comprehensive oral cancer screenings for our patients. When looking for the signs and symptoms of oral cancer, we will perform a physical and visual screening wherein we look for sores or red patches in your mouth or if there is any discoloration in your teeth. We will also be checking if there are lumps inside your mouth or if there are abnormalities in your soft tissues. For more information, or to schedule your screening, call our office today.