Missing teeth are much more than just a problem that affects your appearance. The issue can hamper your ability to chew, bite and smile properly and can also distort the shape of your face. If you’re one of the many people who has lost some or all their teeth, Hayes Family Dentistry offers a viable solution for you in the form of dentures.
Dentures are comprised of a flesh-colored acrylic base which fits over your gums. A set of natural-looking teeth are attached to the base. Dentures can be either fixed or removable.
Removable Dentures: Full or partial removable dentures consist of a gum-colored base made using plastic resin with natural-looking prosthetic teeth. The dentures are held in place by a suction effect against the alveolar ridges of your mouth. The denture for the upper jaw gets extra support from the palate (roof) of the mouth, thereby making it stable. Dentures can be easily removed from the mouth for cleaning.
Fixed Dentures: As the name suggests, fixed dentures are anchored firmly to the jaw using surgically placed dental implants. These are a stable and highly aesthetic set of prosthetic teeth that are not prone to slipping or shifting, unlike removable dentures. The implants used to hold fixed dentures act as artificial tooth roots and prevent bone loss.
Caring for your removable dentures
- Handle your dentures carefully.
- Always store dentures in a container of plain water or soaking solution when you’re not wearing them. Don’t let them dry out.
- Remove deposits of food and plaque by brushing your dentures daily.
- Use a soft-bristled brush to clean your tongue, gums and mouth before wearing your dentures.
- In case your dentures chip, crack or become loose, contact our office for help. Do not try to repair them yourself.
To learn more about tooth replacement using dentures, please call our office for a consultation today.