Wisdom teeth are the last ones to erupt, and it usually emerges at the ages of 17 to 21 years according to the American Dental Association. Most adults have four wisdom teeth, but there are others who have less, more or none at all. Anyone usually dreads the growth of the wisdom teeth or third molars due to the pain or problems associated with it.
At Hayes Family Dentistry we are eager to provide only the best treatments available for our patients overall dental health care and maintenance. We offer wisdom tooth removal to alleviate the pain it causes and to help in the prevention of other dental complications.
Common Reasons for the Removal of Wisdom Teeth
- Not enough room for its proper eruption
- Growing on a wrong angle (horizontal growth)
- Trapped within the jaw
- Partial emergence
Facts About Wisdom Teeth
- Wisdom teeth got its name from the age when it erupts, 17 to 20 are considered to be the age of wisdom.
- Most wisdom teeth are being extracted since they usually are impacted to the other teeth structures. If left unattended it can eventually cause damage and other dental complications.
- While most Americans have wisdom teeth, there are others who are most likely not to have them, and it is due to genetics.
- The removal of the wisdom teeth is usually recommended by dentists to prevent the development of other dental complications.
- The extraction procedure itself is not too painful; it is the impaction of the wisdom teeth to the other structures which causes pain. To make the procedure more pleasant sedation or anesthetics can be used to ensure the patient’s comfort during the procedure.
- Impacted wisdom teeth can cause alignment issues if not properly taken care of. While growing, it can push the teeth forward causing it to move and become crowded.
- It is recommended to have the impacted teeth removed early to avoid any types of complications from developing.
- Not all wisdom teeth eruption causes pain; it can sometimes be asymptomatic. It is where regular dental checkups and cleaning come in handy for the care and detection of any problems.
- There are ways to hasten the recovery time for the healing after extraction. It includes:
- Getting enough rest
- Stop smoking
- Avoiding any forms of sucking
- Avoiding the extraction site during brushing
- Rinsing the mouth with a saline solution
Avoid any dental complications from developing by observing and taking care of the wisdom tooth during its eruption. If there are any irregularities or pain, visit us for our dentists to perform extraction to alleviate pain and discomfort.
For inquiries about Wisdom Tooth Removal in Hayes, VA, call or visit us at Hayes Family Dentistry! We are located at 3224 George Washington Memorial Hwy, Hayes, VA 23072.