Halitosis is the technical term for bad breath. Quick fact: The term was actually invented by the son of Jordan Wheat Lambert the founder of Listerine named George Lambert. The term came from the Latin words “halitus” meaning breath and “osis” to make the phrase sound medical. Many people experience the condition, and it might be the result of several factors like poor hygiene, foods and beverages, medications, and more. Some people may only have it after eating, or when waking up in the morning, others have it as a recurring issue.
Source: Bad breath – Wikipedia
Whatever the case may be, it is an embarrassing issue anyone would want to get rid of. Our local dentists in stafford, va at Hayes Family Dentistry understand how patients who experience the condition feel. It is our job to aid all our patients’ needs, we offer these treatments: Professional Dental Cleanings as well as Scaling and Root Planing. To provide further assistance here are some tips to achieve fresher breath!
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water to have a sufficient amount of saliva in the mouth. Saliva helps clean all areas in the mouth to flush out harmful substances that could result in bad breath.
- Rinse the mouth with a non-alcoholic mouthwash. Not only does it leave a minty fresh breath, but it also adds protection by getting rid of bacteria.
- If mouthwash is not available, rinsing with plain water can get rid of food particles in all areas of the mouth.
- Brushing and flossing work wonders. Make sure to brush at least twice and floss once a day to keep the teeth, mouth, and breath healthy. There is no need to do things vigorously, gentle and precise brush movements can do the job.
- The tongue also needs cleaning as much as the teeth to get rid of bacteria accumulations. Using a toothbrush would work, but for better cleaning, a scraper would work best.
- Gum disease is one of the leading cause of bad breath that is why prevention is essential.
- Smoking not only causes teeth discoloration, cancer, or gum disease – bad breath as well. Eliminating this habit will prevent bad breath and gum disease.
- The most effective yet – seeing the dentist every six months. Preventive measures can be taken to prevent any oral complications, therefore, reducing the risks of developing bad breath.
If you want to own a healthy, and fresh breath, Hayes Family Dentistry is here for you! Check out our Halitosis Treatment in Hayes, VA for the treatment of bad breath. You can also visit us 3224 George Washington Memorial Hwy, Hayes, VA 23072.